Company MAKOVICA A.D. MLADENOVAC with a tradition of more than 60 years in business, today represents one of the largest manufacturers of flour, bread, pastry, animal feed, which owns one of the largest grain storages in Serbia.
- Makovica was established in July 1952
- 1958 – “Makovica” earned license for commercial milling, buying and trading.
- 1959 - Silo of 1.000 wagons put into service (10.000 t).
- 1961 - Reconstruction of the mill began (enlarged the capacity of the production from 25t up to 50t per 24 hours)
- 1966 – “Makovica” was integrated with the company “Nutrition” and began with purchasing and processing of grain, manufacturing and distribution of bread.
- 1969 - The warehouse was built along with the administrative building of 4,000 m².
- 1972 – “Makovica” entered the “PKB Belgrade” system.
- 1974 - Major reconstruction of the bakery carried out.
- 1983 - The second reconstruction followed - New equipment added and the production capacity raised for 35%.
- 1990 – “Makovica” went out of the “PKB” system and started operating as an independent social enterprise.
- 1990 - New silo, capacity of 15.000 t was built and put into service.
- 1994 – Began construction of cold storage capacity of 20 t.
- 1995 – Began construction of shock chamber capacity of 100kg/h.
- 1998 - Gasification in production was introduced.
- 2007 - According to Law on Companies of the Republic of Serbia "Makovica" was transformed from social enterprise into a joint stock company with a majority owner.
- 2013. In October „Makovica" made a business agreement with „Uniferm", leading European producer of bakery yeast and a world-renowned producer of additives in baking, and became its strategical partner in Serbia that import and distribute yeast.
Today in 2017:
- “Makovica” produces wide range of animal feed.
- Produces 1.500.000 primary and special types breads, 320.000 pastries, 25.000 frozen pastries, and 35 t of bread crumbs per month.
- Has a grain storage silo with capacity of 25.000 t.
- Produces all types of flour at “Kosmaj” mill (which can produce 70t of flour in 24h), and at the ”1. maj" mill located in Belosavci.
- There are two modern equipped bakeries, pastry section, section for frozen pastry, three cooling chambers, cold shock chamber, section for packing products and production of thin pie crusts.
- Makovica mini bakeries – in 2015 first mini bakeries were open: Firstly, inside a retail store in Mladenovac, and afterwards in Belgrade at Vojislava Ilića Street, with the company’s wish to expand the number of Makovica’s bakery in the future as its unique recognizable brand.
- 36 retail stores in the Serbian district of Šumadija.
- Currently has 320 employees, a fleet of 55 vehicles, 3 harvesters, 2 tanker trucks („Thermo King", 20t.).
- The standards ISO 22000: 2005, OHSAS 18001: 2007 and HACCP system of food safety are well respected within the company.